July 3, 2009

Let’s hire an airplane...

వెరా నబొకొవ్ ఎప్పుడూ లోతు తెలియని అగాధాన్ని గుర్తుతెస్తూంటుంది. ఆమె నబొకొవ్‌‍కి భార్య మాత్రమే కాదు; మొదటి పాఠకురాలు, విమర్శకురాలు, అనువాదకురాలు... చివరికి ఆయన టైపిస్టు, డ్రైవరు కూడా ఆమే. ఆమెకు ఆయనపై వున్న అంచనా కూడా అద్భుతమైంది. ఒక పిడోఫైల్ ప్రధాన పాత్రగా తను రాస్తున్న నవలపై తనకే నమ్మకం లేక, నబొకొవ్ ఆ చిత్తుప్రతిని ఇంటి పెరడులో కాల్చేయడానికి సిద్ధపడితే, సగం మండుతూన్న కాగితాల్ని పరిగెత్తుకు వెళ్ళి కాలిపోకుండా కాపాడిందామె. ఆ నవల లొలీటా. ఆమె లేకపోతే నబొకొవ్ తన జీవితంలో అసలేమైనా సాధించగలిగేవాడా అనిపిస్తుంది. అది ఆయనకూ తెలుసనుకుంటా. అందుకే ఆయన ప్రతీ పుస్తకంలో అంకితం పేజీ ఎప్పుడూ ఒకేలా వుంటుంది: "To Vera". ఇప్పుడే నబొకొవ్ కొడుకు దిమిత్రి ఇంటర్వూ ఒకటి చదివాను. అందులో అతను నబొకొవ్ మరణం తర్వాత తల్లి ప్రతిస్పందనను ఇలా గుర్తు తెచ్చుకున్నాడు:

"My father had died in her presence and mine, in a different part of the same hospital complex, some three years earlier. As we drove home after his death to Montreux, Mother, who was not a weepy widow, and had declined the consolatory embrace of a well-meaning duty nurse (who did not understand that my mother was a very private person, immensely affectionate with those close to her, but inhibited when sharing such intimate grief with a stranger), suddenly said in a soft voice, "Let’s hire an airplane and crash." She, who almost always splendidly controlled herself, quickly thought better of that idea (I already knew how to fly, and she too had once taken lessons, but neither of us held a license – so there would have been a pilot’s fate to ponder, as well as other logistical considerations)."

అలవికాని విషాదం ఎంత మూగగా బయటపడుతుందో కదా.

1 comment:

  1. నన్ను కదిలించిన ఒక అంకితం పేజీ ని మీతో పంచుకోవాలనిపించి ఈ వ్యాఖ్య. మీకు నాకు నచ్చిన విధంగా నచ్చుతుందో లేదో తెలియదు కానీ, నా బుర్రలోకొచ్చింది, రాసేస్తున్నా.

    "Two women. From two cultures. One an Indian, and the other from Europe. The one is my mother and the other is my wife. Neither has met; I do not know if they ever will. But without either I would be a never-has-been.

    All of us need a dream. Mine is this: to tell my mother what I write and think about. In my language and in her idiom. aT THIS STAGE, i CAN NOT; THAT IS WHAT THIS ESSAY IS ABOUT. "perhaps, one day, some day..." so I dream. To that extraordinary woman, without a peer or parallel, I dedicate the first fruit of my project. In memory, because she is not there anymore. So, now I know that I merely dream. But what of it?

    We all need a dream...

    To her, my mother, I wrote of the other, my wife, and said: "A Gift from the Gods.". Gods may give, but we humans must learn to receive. Oftentimes, a gift is easier given than graciously taken. More so, when the drudgery of daily life and the problems of living corrode and erode both style and grace. Yet... To my wife, in love and gratitude, this essay is dedicated."

    ReplyDelete